HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
John Staeck <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Jan 1997 14:02:44 -0600
Regarding Len's post about symbols and context, here, here!  This seems to
be exactly what Wobst was trying to get across back in 1977(?)  All symbols
have targets, we need to understand the relationship between the sender and
target in order to better understand how the symbols in question function.
We as archaeologists, are well outside of the intended target area, so we
need to move into that area as best as we can in the here and now.

regards - john

John Staeck         There are 3 kinds of lies:
Anthropology            lies, damned lies, and statistics!
Luther College        paraphrase of Mark Twain, who
Decorah, IA 52101     attributes the comment to Benjamin
319-387-1284          Desraeli