HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Pat Reynolds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Jan 1997 23:12:59 +0000
In message <[log in to unmask]>, Mary Ellin
D'Agostino <[log in to unmask]> writes
>The show is called "Time Team" it was centered on St. Mary's City, Maryland.
>The "geophysics" refers (probably) to the remote sensing (I think it was
>magnetometer) the visiting folks brought in.  They also used aerial
>photographs. I thought the show was pretty good, but a bit condescending to
>the local archaeologists and their long-term project. The self-imposed three
>day limit was interesting and problematic--why not do a week? The cost would
>be quite small relative to the cost of getting everyone plus equipment to
>the site....
>
>Mary Ellin D'Agostino

'Time Team' is a long-running show - into its third or fourth series.
St. Mary's City was it's first voyage beyond the UK.

Geophysics (often pronounced 'geofizz') is inded remote sensing.

I'm not sure why the three day limit ... maybe because it allows the
staff pulled from RCHM(E), Birmingham University, etc to be at their
desks or lecturns for a couple of days during filming weeks?

The greatest change that Maryland had over the British programmes was
that the discussions all appeared to take place on site.  In Britain,
they go down the pub, and discuss it over a pint.

What did you make of Mick Aston's beautiful Brum accent?
--
Pat Reynolds
Keeper of Social History, Buckinghamshire County Museum