HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Dave McAuslan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Nov 1996 02:36:35 -0700
To:  Robin Mills
Univ. of Alaska Fairbanks

Reference your:
>Recovered from a ca. 1900-1920 cabin foundation is a small vial about
>13cm/4" in height, with cork still in situ, with embossing around the
>body, near the shoulder, that reads "NUXATED IRON".  Let alone the
>literature, I can't even find this word in a dictionary!  Any clues?
>suggestions?

Herewith my suggestion:

*     There is a confirmatory chemical test for iron involving potassium
ferro-cyanide. With ferrous iron potassium ferro-cynaide produces a white
precipitate (K2Fe2(CN)6) which turns blue on shaking in the air through
oxidation to Prussian blue. With ferric iron potassium ferrocyanide
produces a dark blue precipitate, Prussian blue. At first the idea of
testing for an iron salt with another compound of iron may seem strange but
the salts in question contain ferric ions, while potassium ferrocyanide
contains a complex ion (Fe(CN)6) with very different qualities.
.................................New Harmsworth Self-Educator, London 1915
Chemical Analysis.

*     The latin for nut is nux, nucis. There is a latin proverb commonly
used by T Maccius Plautus and Virgil:  nux cassa, meaning "something
entirely worthless"
...................................Cassell's New Latin Dictionary 1953

*      Pyrite, Pyrites:    Sulphide of iron (FeS2) crystals. Brassy yellow
and is the commonest sulphide mineral of widespread occurrence. Also known
as fool's gold.
...................................Dictionary of Science and Technology
Chambers 1971

Theory:   I reckon the nuxated iron bottle contained the chemical means for
testing for fool's gold. Only a small amount of potassium ferro-cyanide
would be required to be mixed with a tiny  sample of the "gold". The
presence of iron pyrites would be revealed via the deep blue colour. Is it
possible the cabin was a place where (bona fide) gold claims could be
registered?

yours aye

Dave McAuslan
North Somerset