HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Carl Steen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Nov 1996 07:05:20 -0500
In re: David Rotenstein's posting on the Salzburgers: Illustrations are
reproduced in "Tidecraft" by Willima "Rusty" Fleetwood--an excellent book.
These are the Von Reck drawings--the complete series is published somewhere.
Ther SC State Museum has an unfinished example with the base of the tree
still attached! They call it "Roots". Chris Judge of SC Dept. of Natural
Resources 803-734-3753--has written a paper on dug-outs. I believe David
Phelps of East Carolina Univ. directed a thesis project (unsure if it was
completed) in which dozens of dugouts frm about 4,000 years old to 19th
century were recorded. There are tons of dugout canoes in SC from prehistory
and the historic period--but I can't think of an in-depth study to refer you
to. Anybody need an interesting project? Carl Steen