HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Lauren J. Cook" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Aug 1996 00:19:40 EDT
In a forwarded message, Lynne Sebastian said:

>> I don't know what those lads are digging, but it doesn't sound like
>> they are having fun.  I promised I would put this question out on the
>> net and let them know what answers I get.

>> Any medical advice for a clearly nervous excavation crew?

Hell, Yes!  Now, I am NOT a doctor (nor do I play one on TV), but I do have
about 80 hours of OSHA-approved training in operations and supervision on sites
containing hazardous materials.

It would seem to me that Dear Abby's three favorite and oft-repeated words of
advice apply to this situation:

SEEK PROFESSIONAL HELP!

We wouldn't dream of asking the medical community for opinions on the
eligibility of sites to the National Register...why ask archeologists about
communicable diseases?  Whether or not there is risk, if I were them, I would
want to hear it from someone who knows the answer, not second or third-hand off
of the internet.  Especially if there's any chance someone's health may be at
stake.  I'm sure that the State of New Mexico maintains a department of public
health, staffed by qualified professionals who live for the opportunity to
answer questions like these. They should start by calling there, given the
potential medical and legal (i.e., liability) issues involved.  Whatever they
learn will be a LOT more reliable than anything they'll get here.

Lauren Cook
JMA Philadelphia