HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Elliot Richmond <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Nov 1995 16:36:59 -0600
On Mon, 6 Nov 1995, Christopher G. Ricciardi wrote:

> Hi,
>
>         I would like to know is there a computer software program that
> creates bibliographies that can be inserted into "standard" word
> processing programs (i.e. Word Perfect 6.1 or MS Word for Windows 95)?
>
>         Thanks.
>         Chris.

There are several.  ProCite and Papyrus are two names that come to
mind.  ProCite I found awkward, but I havn't used it much.

I recommend EndNote Plus with the companion program EndLink in the Mac
version.  Together they run less than 200 US dollars

EndNote Plus is a bibliographic data base and formatting program that
works as a stand-alone or as a module within Microsoft Word.  It
is available in both Mac and Windows versions.  However, I am only
familiar with the Mac side. With the companion program, EndLink, it builds a
bibliographic database for you, allowing citations to be directly
imported from on-line sources such as Silver Platter CD-ROM services, and
many others.  Citations are easily placed in the document as end or foot
notes.  Bibliographies can be constructed in proper style in a few
seconds.  Many different styles are supplied with the program.  In
education, we mostly use a version of Author Date or American
Psychological Association (APA) styles.  Documents may easily be
converted to different styles (for example, to satisfy different editors,
for different publications, different conventions, etc.).  Databases may
be searched by keyword, author, date, journal, notes, words in notes,
and many combinations using boolean logic.  I REALLY like this program,
but it is the only one I have used much so my opinion is rather skewed.