HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Kenneth Gauck <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Jul 1995 18:11:50 CDT
Mike Trinkley,

There are two distinctions I would make in this matter.  1) We are not
silencing him, he is free to speak- elsewhere.  Put up a web-page, start
a new Archeaology list, rant on the usenet, call radio shows, start a
radio show &c. &c. &c.  2) *We* have the freedom to associate with whom we
please.  The tone of this list, as expressed, was put off by the Person of
mr Johnson, rather than his ideas.  As I see it the "club" known as HISTARCH,
which meets in space provided by Ms Cohen-Williams, has chosen to "dis-invite"
someone.

This is America, but HISTARCH is not resposible for guarantees of civil
liberty.  As a private association, rather than a public institution (i.e.
the government) we have that right.  We are an assocaition of people who
have come here, to HISTARCH, for the express purpose of discussing the
issues of historical archeaology.  Any other discussion is innappropriot.
Doubly so if the purpose is mean-spirited.

Who makes these decisions is an important issue, but is solved by the very
nature of a list-serv.  Our factotum, as I mentioned, established this list,
works hard to maintain it and with those responsibilites go those of keeping
the list attractive and in keeping with its founding vision.

Kenneth Gauck