HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Michael Pfeiffer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Jul 1995 13:45:14 +0000

From: Michael Pfeiffer:R08F10A
Date: ## 07/26/95 09:45 ##

Previous comments:
From: GLENN R. TANNER:R08F10D01A
Date: ## 07/26/95 08:57 ##
FYI.

Previous comments:
From: Bob Reeves:R08F10D01A
Date: ## 07/26/95 08:44 ##

Previous comments:
From: JIM NIELAND:
Date: ## 07/26/95 06:39 ##

Previous comments:
From: Rick H. McClure:R06F03A
Date: ## 07/24/95 18:08 ##

Previous comments:
From: Paul G. Claeyssens:R06F01A
Date: ## 07/24/95 09:38 ##
For info, and another success story, albeit modest, in our war
against site looters and scumbags in general.  This went out last
week and was picked up by KOPB Friday the 21st during NPR's Morning
Edition and then I was called and interviewed by the Oregonian on
Friday and today by a Bend Bulletin reporter, so the word is gettin'
out. Paul

Message-Version: 2
UA-Content-ID: <KO-PXFFHJ>
End-of-Header:
EMail-Version: 2
UA-Message-ID: <KO-PXFFHJ>
End-of-Protocol:

                   *****       ***
  DESCHUTES        ******      ***
                   *** ***     ***  ********** ***              *** ***********
                   ***  ***    *** ************ ***            *** ************
   NATIONAL        ***   ***   *** ***      ***  ***    **    ***  ***
                   ***    ***  *** ************   ***  ****  ***    **********
                   ***     *** *** ***             *****  *****             ***
   FOREST          ***      ****** ************     ***    ***     ************
                   ***       *****  ***********      *      *      ***********

COMMUNITY RELATIONS                                        1645 HIGHWAY 20 EAST
(503)388-2715                       VIA FAX                BEND, OREGON   97701

TO: MEDIA FAX                                               # OF PAGES   2

If you do not receive all pages, call (503) 388-2715.
                                                      Contact:Paul Claeyssens
                                                              (503) 383-5540 ###

LAVA RIVER CAVE ARTIFACT THIEVES SENTENCED UNDER ARPA LAW

Lava River Cave, located on the Deschutes National Forest, was looted late in
1989.  The "thieves of time" were seeking to remove significant and
scientifically important archaeological artifacts.  Forest Service Law
Enforcement Officers, staff archaeologists and the U.S. Attorney's office led an
investigation that bore fruit this past month.

The defendants, Michael Scott Barker II (LaPine, Oregon), Charles Thomas Foster
(Rocklin, California), and Jerry D. Chapman (Cheyenne, Wyoming) were sentenced i
U.S. District Court in Eugene, Oregon to one count each of violating the
Archaeological Resources Protection Act.  Each of the individuals was placed on
3
years probation and ordered to pay a S25 fee assessment.  In addition, Barker an
Foster were fined S1,000 each and Chapman was ordered to perform 100 hours of
community service in lieu of a fine.  All defendants are prohibited from becomin
involved in archeological activity without the permission of their probation
officer.  The case was prosecuted by Assistant United States Attorney Jeff Kent.

Archaeological sites throughout Central Oregon are threatened by looting and
vandalism.  Federal land management agencies vigorously pursue these
investigations not only to apprehend susppcts, but also to deter future illegal
activity.

According to Paul Claeyssens, Deschutes National Forest Archaeologist, "This
sends a clear message that it is NOT okay to loot archaeological sites.  The sit
they dug into resulted not just in the theft of artifacts but the destruction of
the archaeological context, the soil matrix that contains valuable information o
archaic climates, environments, and how people adapted to them.  It is this kind
of information that is so significant, not just to archaeologists, but those
concerned with the larger questions relating to how we humans adapt to and chang
environments."

Others are outraged as well.  American Indian heritage is at risk.  "It shows a
disrespect to American Indian people and their culture," said Jim Coburn, Tribal
Liaison for the Forest Service and BLM in Central Oregon.

According to Tom Pilling, President of the Archaeological Society of Oregon
(ASCO), "We are concerned as private citizens about the damage a few individuals
can do to our area's history."  ASCO is embarking on a site stewardship program
with the Deschutes National Forest to monitor sensitive archaeological sites and
prevent such looting.  Pilling invites those interested people to join his
organization, "We have an open invitation to new members.  ASCO does more than
protect sites, we get involved in on-going field research, sponsor field trips,
present programs to local schools, and most of all, have fun!"  (Tom Pilling
503-548-5716, ASCO c/o COEC, 16 NW Kansas, Bend, Oregon 97701)

To protect your cultural heritage, you can report archaeological and historical
sites you discover while in the woods.  Be aware of suspicious activity near
known sites, and report artifact digging and destruction of rock art to your
local federal land managing agency.  Together we can stop the "thieves of time."

                                       =USFS=