From:
Aaron Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Jan 1996 12:20:31 EST
Yes, the lids bulge but not enough to break jars or bend the lids.  When
the jars are still warm I relieve the pressure and tighten the lids so
they're 'pressure sealed' after they cool.  If the lids aren't tight
when they go into the dishwasher they just need to be tightened after
the dry cycle completes, but I don't chance the loose lid coming off and
I don't want the honey absorbing H2O during the wash cycle.  I now
bottle in quart canning jars, so the collar on the canning jar can be
somewhat loose while the lid itself is snug.  I used to recycle juice
bottles, but unfortunately most manufacturers now bottle in plastic,
which is why I switched to canning jars.  I s'pose I should buy
'official' honey jars but I find canning jars more convenient (available
at local hardware stores, usually on sale in the fall, no shipping and
ready replacement if breakage is a problem).

It seems there's always room for a jar or two whenever I run the
dishwasher which allows me to keep my supply ahead of my demand, but I'm
strictly a small potatoes dealer (friends and office sales, approximately
a hundred quarts a year; $6 per quart, $5 for refills).  For me,
production is the reward (being outside playing with the bees), selling
is a chore.  I imagine I'd look for a different system (such as the
custom heating cabinets others have described) if my operation was
larger, but for my size and needs the dishwasher is fine.

Sincerely,
Aaron Morris
Hobby Beekeeper in Upstate New York
Quality honey, clean dishes.