Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Michael Moroney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Jun 1996 20:44:39 -0400
> The other day I was adding a frame of eggs to a queenless hive in an
> outyard (Too far to drive to get only one queen!)
>
> And I realised that we always add a frame of *eggs* -- not larvae --  where
> possible in such a case.

Sounds right to me.  All newly hatched larvae are fed royal jelly for ? days
and then the workers are fed bee bread while future queens are continued to be
fed royal jelly.

What I suppose can happen is a larva starts to be fed bee bread and then the
bees start feeding it royal jelly as an emergency queen.  If so such a queen
would be runtier than a queen strictly fed royal jelly.  The longer fed bee
bread, the runtier the queen I guess.  After 4 days any sealed queen cells
would have to be old enough to have been fed bee bread, which would be why
removing such cells would prevent runty queens.

-Mike