From:
David Eyre <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Jan 1996 11:21:56 -0500
Tom_Elliot wrote
>     For someone with only a half dozen hives, it is possible to raise
>     decent queens from emergency cells.  As I recall - and have tried
>     mostly for fun - you remove the queen (to a nuc or whatever) and
>     return after four days.  At that time you remove all queen cells which
>     have been capped (indicating queens begun with advanced larvae).
>     Return again after several more days to remove all but one or two

I certainly don't like picking fault, but regretfully Tom left out one of
two critical points which if someone tries this method it will fail. So I
would like to rewrite this to improve it.
        Day one, make up a small nuc, young bees, at least two frames of
sealed brood, open stores, pollen, no eggs or open larvae. This can be
locked up with a screened entrance for 24 hrs(one complete sun cycle) either
on top of a hive, double screened, to take advantage of rising heat, or off
to one side. FEED 1-1 or 2-1 syrup.
        Day two, release entrance and allow bees to fly.
        Day three, check for new eggs. You might have transfered the queen
by mistake!
        Day four. Check for emergeny queen cells. Possibly even sealed
cells. Check very, very carefully as scrub queen cells can be very small and
difficult to see, try shaking or brushing bees off to make sure. Now we can
add eggs from our favorite hive. A frame of young eggs should be added,
there are lots of ideas on frame preparation but I have found that the bees
don't need it. Bear in mind that the egg we want them to use won't hatch for
3 days, so note where on the frame they are.
        Day eight. Check again for queen cells. Remove any which are sealed,
and if some are very close together remove one to leave them well spaced.
        Day thirteen. By now you should have a number of well shaped and
sealed cells.
        Day eighteen. You could if you wish, take some of the cells and use
them in other nucs. If you disturb them before the cells 14th day, from egg
laying, there is a danger of damaged or missing wings.
        Day twenty. Queens will emerge. Be patient, within 8 days you should
see eggs, as the new queen takes over.
        If you don't see eggs, then think of trying again. Lots of things go
wrong with the mating flight, especially if you have Eastern King birds around.
        Please , before I get jumped on, this is not intended to be the
definative method of queen rearing. I used it for many years, and it worked
for me!!

   * David Eyre          9 Progress Drive, Unit 2, *
   * The Beeworks,    Orillia, Ontario, L3V 6H1.*
   * [log in to unmask]      705-326-7171 *
   * http://www.muskoka.net/~beeworks          *