From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 8 Jan 1996 08:49:44 +0700
> Hi,
> The application of Thymol is very simple:
> Thymol, mostly big crystals, are ground to powder with a mortal or
> homogenizer.

<snip>

> I think other mites,
> like tracheal-, don't like this treatment as well. Thymol is known
> for destroying mold and herbarium parasites, preserving anatomical
> specimens; for embalming and has recommended for the prevention of
> mildew growth and as an antimold for paper. It has been used as
> anthelmintic, antifungal and antiseptic

Very interesting.

I wonder what the cost, availability, and toxicity for mammals is for
this substance?

Other signigicant properties would be solubility in wax, effect on
skin, eyes, lungs, etc.

These have been limiting properties in evaluating other promising
substances for this purpose.

Although this may be a common substance, I can't say that I am
familiar with it.  I suppose that I'll have to pull out an
encyclopedia, but in the meantime it would be interesting to hear
more form those who have experience with it.

Regards

Allen

W. Allen Dick, Beekeeper                                         VE6CFK
RR#1, Swalwell, Alberta  Canada T0M 1Y0  Internet:[log in to unmask]
Honey. Bees, Art, & Futures <http://www.cuug.ab.ca:8001/~dicka>