HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Chris Clement <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Sep 1995 21:29:08 -0500
Returning tangentially to a thread initiated by Charlie Ewen (Hi Charlie) a
couple of months ago, does anyone have any citations re: 19th to early 20th
century farmsteads in New England?

I was talking with a CRM colleague in Vermont a few weeks back, and he
raised the issue that farmsteads there are difficult to deal with due to a
lack of excavated data, though historical references and the sites
themselves abound.  The two best suggestions (IMHO) that I still have from
the earlier discussion--preparing a historic context (Hester Davis, Smoke
Pfieffer) and multiple property listings (George McCluskey)--are somewhat
impractical in my colleague's situation.  A historic context must be based
on data to be useful, data which he doesn't have, while multiple property
listings don't work when a small project is involved, as they often are in
Vermont.

I've been slowly putting together a bibiliography of mainstream stuff that
I come across for Northern New England, but any suggestions would be
greatly appreciated.

Chris Clement
South Carolina Institute of Archaeology
   and Anthropology