Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Aug 1995 07:18:36 -0600
We haven't used fume boards here for years.

Once carbolic was outlawed, we tried bee-go, but since our honey house is
connected to our home, and the smell doesn't leave for six months or so,
we decided it was not worth using.  You get to the point where you can't
smell it, but everyone else can.  It's on your clothes and in your hair.

In addition bee-go irritates my throat and lungs when used even on a
windy day.

We tried benzaldehyde years ago and although it has a nice smell and as
far as I know is a food additive - artificial oil of almonds - but
we couldn't make it work reliably enough for commercial service.

We have three methods that work flawlessly:

1.) Tipping.  We remove the boxes and stand them on end on top of a hive
or in the grass.  The bees leave within a few hours (minutes during a
strong flow) and we pick them up after working a few more yards.  If
robbing is happening, you can't leave the boxes unattended, because the
robbing causes the bees to leave fast, then return to remove the honey.
During a decent flow, in a yard not trained to robbing, the boxes can be
left for days without any problem.

2.) Bee blower.  Works best if the boxes are inverted on a steel chute or
frame (a stack of 3 standard supers cris-crossed or separated by an inch
or two to let the air out and then nailed together with four lathes will
work).  This way the combs can be leafed through like a book from the
bottom - which is now up and facing the operator.  Getting them upside
down - and back - without having them fall out is the trick.

3.) The Trusty bee brush.  Suitable for up to ten boxes.  The brush must
be clean and fre of honey.  It can be washed in a water bucket (we always
carry one for hand washing and fire fighting) if it gets honey bound.
Brush upwards in most cases.  The bees normally gladly fly up - but resist
being propelled downwards.  Carry an empty box to start the process.
Place it out of the bees flight path and transfer combs to it as the first
box is emptied.  Then scrape the newly emptied box and repeat the process,
transferring the next set of combs into it.  We extracted 100 hives using
a bee brush years ago when we were starting out.  It can go very fast with
a good operator or two.

Allen

W. Allen Dick, Beekeeper                        VE6CFK
Rural Route One   Swalwell   Alberta   Canada  T0M 1Y0
Email:   [log in to unmask]    or   [log in to unmask]
Futures, Art & Honey:http://www.cuug.ab.ca:8001/~dicka