HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Larry Mckee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Oct 1994 12:53:22 -0500
I have two observations regarding remote sensing/geophysical surveying:
     1) cost.  I'd rather spend the money on more crew members.  If the
project had harsh time constraints and a matching big budget, it might be
worth bringing in the gadgets along with the grade-all (gradall?),  but I
still wouldn't put much trust in it.  This is linked to
      2) unreliability.  I've heard too many anecdotes from people like Anita
who've seen it miss the big stuff and get excited about nothing.  Maybe in
the future... but maybe not.  It just doesn't seem like it will revolutionize
archaeology the way other technology (say C14) has, because it just doesn't
give the results SO FAR.  I know there are plenty of people in the U.S. and
elsewhere who wouldn't start a project without it - maybe they have made
their peace with what it can and can't do - maybe some devotees can enlighten
the group further.  Maybe it is also a matter of having a better handle on
how and when to use the techniques.  I did hear a passing reference from an
esteemed English colleague at the CNEHA meetings in Wmsbg last week about
"doing the geophysics" only after the plow zone has been stripped.  (I didn't
think to ask him whether or not the neat stuff would be visible then anyway.)

      Larry McKee