HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Jeremy Green <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Jul 1997 08:27:38 +0800

>>    I am putting together a database on swords, daggers, and other edged
>>weapon
>>s and body armor recovered from both shipwreck and terrestrial sites
>>dating fro
>>m the Middle Ages to the present.  I am particularly interested in
>>Spanish New
>>World sites.  If you have any information including site location, date,
>>refere
>>nces, and final disposition of the artifacts, please let me know.  Thanks
>>in ad
>>vance.

The Department of Maritime Archaeology has a sword from the Batavia (1629)
site found in a land grave site. In fact it is a type of cutlass, curved
blade, bone handle (composite construction), length about 1 m. Contact me
for further information

Jeremy Green
Dept. Maritime Archaeology           __?__
Western Australian Maritime Museum  /     \      -------
Cliff Street                       |       |    |  Huh?  |
FREMANTLE                          ^^ (o)(o)    /-------
WA 6160                           (.   ,---    /
W. Australia                        | |,___|  /
PLEASE NOTE new Phone codes         |  \__/
and NEW EMAIL Address               /_  __\
(61-8) 94318440                    /__\/_/ \
(61-8) 93357224 (F)
(61-8) 93358071 (H)    See us on the web at http://www.mm.wa.gov.au