HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Susan Piddock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Mar 1997 20:11:41 +1030
Thank you Barbara and Linda for your replies. I am actually an archaeologist
with an interest in documentary archaeology so l know the dangers of any
history based on documents! I am not very familar with slavery archaeology
beyond the article dealing with ceramics on plantation sites.
     While not to do with slavery l did come across an interesting site on
the world wide web that outlines a project being undertaken at Strokestown,
County Roscommon, Ireland, by Charles Orser, Jr. One of research objectives
outlined refers to historical documents that indicate the people of the area
had little in the way of material culture. The excavation is seeking to
identify the test this and see whether it is possible to identify a "peasant
material culture." The site is at http://www.missouri.edu/~c645151/gort.htm
      One of the interesting things about documents written by visitors to
an area or to people's homes is what do they see? Do they see what they wish
to see or believe should be there? and does the different emphasis placed on
goods or possessions by various groups led the writer to discount items as
unimportant and unworthy of recording?
          So many questions and not enough time.
                         Susan