HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
George McCluskey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Feb 1996 07:55:00 CST
> Date sent:      Tue, 6 Feb 1996 16:34:16 -0600
> Send reply to:  HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY <[log in to unmask]>
> From:           WILLIAM MATHERS <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject:        Help on Archaeological "Significance"
> To:             Multiple recipients of list HISTARCH <[log in to unmask]
EDU>

> As part of a new research program, my colleagues and I have recently completed
> n historical review and analysis of
> archaeological approaches to significance evaluation in the United States.  Be
ca
> use of the large amount of literature
> on this subject and the necessarily selective nature of our review, it is clea
> that we have only scratched the surface.
> As a result, we are very interested in locating discussions of significance th
at
>  may be lurking in the grey literature,
> <and> that have been published outside of the U.S..  With respect to the latte
r,
>  we are particularly interested in the
> methods and criteria used outside North America to evaluate the "importance" o
> "value" sites (in the broadest sense
> of these terms).  Any help in this effort will be very much appreciated.
>
> In turn, we have a limited number of hard copy publications of our most recent
> ork that we can make available (free
> of charge) to those interested in receiving a copy.  The volume, by Frederick
Br
> iuer and Clay Mathers is entitled:
> "Trends and Patterns in Cultural Resource Significance: An Historical Perspect
iv
> e and Annotated Bibliography", and
> can be requested at the address below.  The abstract which follows describes b
ri
> efly the content of our report:
>
> *This publication offers a broad, analytical review of the literature concerne
> with the challenging subject of
> evaluating cultural resource significance in the United States.  Our review of
> ignificance includes two main sections:
> (a) an Annotated Bibliography (consisting mostly of peer-reviewed literature)
an
> d (b) an Analysis Section (devoted to
> tracing historical trends in archaeological method and theory).  The literatur
> summarized here is extensive and is
> not accessible widely to the archaeological and cultural resource management (
CR
> M) communities.  After analyzing a
> wide range of publications, 21 major themes or concepts were established to ch
ar
> acterize the breadth of
> archaeological views and ideas about significance. A review of each theme was
un
> dertaken, including both a discussion
> and a graphical presentation of trends through time.  Systematic indexing and
cr
> oss-referencing of publications,
> authors, and significance themes have also been carried out to assist users in
> ocating references of special interest.
> The concluding section offers some suggestions and insights into the future di
re
> ction of significance evaluation with
> respect to our work unit and within CRM generally. Particular emphasis is plac
ed
>  on the opportunities to develop
> more holistic management strategies, to make greater use of new approaches and
> echnologies, and to use more
> explicit evaluation methods.*
>
> Many thanks for your help! (and apologies for cross-posting)
>
> <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<*>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
> Clay Mathers
> National Research Council Fellow
> Center for Cultural Site Preservation Technology
> CEWES-EN-R
> 3909 Halls Ferry Road
> Vicksburg, MS 39180-6199
>
> voice    (601) 634-3791
> fax       (601) 634-2835
> e-mail   [log in to unmask]
> <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<*>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Clay,

I would very much like to get a copy of your book.  I am the senior
archeologist in the Arkansas SHPO office, and deal with significance
issues every day.  My address is as follows:

                    George H. McCluskey
                    P.O. Box 23238
                    Little Rock, AR  72221

Thanks in advance for sending your book.  I think it will be very
useful.

Sincerely,

George McCluskey
Senior Archeologist