HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Chantal Cagle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Nov 1995 15:18:12 -0800
Barry Cunliffe (Oxford University) conducted fairly recent (1980's?)
excavations of the Roman Baths in the city of Bath, in the southwest of
England if that's the Bath you are thinking of.  Those excavations were
undertaken due to some problem with the bath water (microscopic bugs as I
recall) which the tourists were wont to drink (remember doing that myself
in 1974 but avoided getting sick).  Anyway- the baths had obviously been
excavated before this and I think Barry's book goes into some detail
about the previous excavations.  I don't know whether there's been any
subsequent digging.

Chantal