Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Bill Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Apr 1996 18:42:04 -0500
If you want to get rid of Varroa in a fresh swarm, add an Apistan strip when
you make your inspection a week after hiving the swarm.   Put the strip in
the middle of the active brood area.  You'll only need one strip because the
brood area will be small.  Take the strip out after it has been in for 6
weeks.   After that, the colony will go on your regular mite treatment
program.

For those of you who wish to use the swarm colony as a permanent increase to
your colonies, I'd definitely recommend the treatment described above.
  However, for those of you who have some spare equipment and are willing to
sacrifice a colony to the search for the mite resistant bee, may I suggest
not treating the colony for mites, not requeening it (supersedure is ok)  and
seeing if it survives a year and a half.   If it does, the folks at the USDA
Bee Labs(Tom Rinderer and Bob Danka) would love to hear from you.

W. G. Miller
Gaithersburg, MD