From:
David Eyre <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Nov 1995 16:43:30 -0500
>hi all:
>
>here in Holland and Germany, there is a common procedure for biological control
>of Varroa mites. The queen is locked up
>( by means of a piece of gauze) on a drawn out drone comb,
>and so has to lay it full of eggs.

        We do have a similar system of control here in North America. Our
name for it is a "Varroa trap", it consists of an outer frame covered with
queen excluder. A frame of drone foundation is used, and one suggestion was
rather than waste the by-products, the frame is replaced in the hive after
freezing to allow the bees to reingest the dead brood. Obviously the dead
Varroa drop to the bottom of the hive. As an aside we do market these should
anyone be interested.
   * David J. Eyre CEO    9, Progress Drive, Unit 2,     *
   * The Beeworks        Orillia, Ont, Canada, L3V 6H1 *
   * [log in to unmask]    (705) 326 7171           *
   * http.//www.muskoka.net/~beeworks                     *