From:
Gordon Scott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Nov 1995 19:40:11 +0000
On Fri, 3 Nov 1995, Mark Horsnell wrote:

> hi gordon scott, who writes:
>
> >As groups like bee-l and sci.agriculture.beekeeping get bigger it is
> >inevitable that people leave due to overload. Someone recently wrote
> >directly to me asking if there was a UK mailing list because bee-l and
> >sci.a.b were very USA oriented.
>
> hell, if you just want something local, join your local bee club.
> i enjoy the international flavour of newsgroups & lists.

Only the _very tiniest_ bit of offence taken ;-)   And none intended!

You clearly weren't aware that I joined bee-l and sci.ag.bee because I was
the Secretary of the local bee club and editor of the newsletter. I still
edit the newsletter.

> we can learn so much from our nthn hemisphere cousins.

And our southern ones!

> besides are these two "sites" THAT big??

No, they're not. However, my concern and the concern of some others is that
we may lose the very experts that we so value. I feel the question needs
to be asked, because one day the answer _will_ be yes.

> to use another analogy: it's a bit like television in a small country such as
> new zealand. just increasing the number of channels doesn't necessarily make
> for better television, or make it easier to know what to watch. u have to
> learn to use the channel button wisely - but MOST IMPORTANTLY u have to know
> when to use the OFF switch!!!

Using the same analogy, on the plus side of splitting lists/newsgroups
is the opportunity to tune in to all channels or only those which are
of interest. E-mail is better than TV in this respect because I can tune
in the all channels at once if I wish.

> i'm relatively new to beekeeping and i know there is soooooooo much to learn.
> i prefer a broader, more mixed insight into the bee, and for that reason 1
> list & 1 newsgroup is a great way to go.

In truth, we're all new to beekeeping. I have only about 6 years, others
have only about 60 years. Neither are enough and each have things they can
teach the others. But us *real* newbies learn the most and have lots more
to learn -- so we must try not to lose the 'old hands' and academics
by boring them. Do _they_ want the broad view?

I have subscribed to some other mailing lists where the weight of mail
really _is_ too much. I have left them and I doubt I will return unless
I have a serious need for an answer to a serious question. For me, bee-l
is a __wonderful__ facility that I would fight like hell to preserve. It
would be tragic if it became nothing more than an endless stream of
standard first-timer questions and the richness we presently have was
lost.

> if you haven't already used your DELETE button on this,
> thank you for reading ;-)

Who, Me?  -- As if I would ;-)

I had to check Jean-Marie's statement that I had only been on the list
since 1994 (because I was on via Compu$erve first, then as apis) and
it's true (Feb/March 94?) -- it seems so much longer.

I agreee with J-M -- good subject line and good netiquette helps!

For the record, I subscribe to Bee-l, socinsct and bombus; I can
only easily read sci.a.b at the moment due to a newsgroup delivery
problem. I do admit to sometimes hitting delete when there are bears
in the subject line and when people in the States are looking for
equipment in the States.

I guess I'd better subscribe to BeeNet too.

Best regards,
--
Gordon Scott   [log in to unmask]   Hampshire, England.
               Beekeeper; Kendo 3rd Dan; Sometime sailor.