HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Frank Kohout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Oct 1997 18:21:53 -0500
Ms. Taylor,

I may be totally wrong, but I understand that the cochineal insect (female)
is used to produce a RED dye or stain. (It is still used to produce red-dye
stains for biological research and, I believe, it is/was used extensively to
produce red dye for Persian rugs.)

OTOH, the murex is a salt-water mussel, whose shell is/was used to produce a
purple dye.  In ancient times the Phoenicians were the main producers of
murex purple in the Mediterranean area, and their name even derives from the
Greek word [phoinkeos] for purple/red, the shades of which the Greeks
apparently did not distinguish with different words.

BYE--FJK