HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Sat, 4 Oct 1997 10:16:34 +0000
Can anyone recommend published references detailing the geographic
distribution, history and details of use of the cochineal insect in
the southern Texas and elsewhere in the Spanish Southwest?  I have
been told that it is the female of the species that produces the
compound (?) that is needed for making the murex or "Royal Purple"
dye, and that this substance was a high-ranking export of the
Spanish government from the colonies.  I know it occurs in southern
Texas, but am unsure about how extensive its distribution is, or
whether it might have been artificially introduced into certain
areas for commercial purposes.

I also would appreciate hearing from anyone who can provide a term
that denotes the use or production of insect-based products, such as
the cochineal dye or honey.  I am interested in this information in
regard to the late prehistoric/protohistoric/early historic
resources of the southern Texas region for my dissertation research.

Any input would be appreciated.

Ms. A.J. Taylor
Tempe, Arizona