HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Cathy Spude <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Oct 1997 13:38:03 -0400
     Ned:

     Under a previous name, I did a fairly extensive quantitative analysis
     of nails found at the Moore Cabin and House site in Skagway, Alaska.
     You might want to look at

     Blee, Catherine Holder
       1988     Archeological Investigations in Skagway, Alaska, Volume 2:
                The Moore Cabin and House, Klondike Gold Rush National
                Historical Park. US Government Printing Office, Denver, Co.

     The report was sent to all government repositories, so you should be
     able to find a copy wherever you can find other government documents.
     If not, it can be acquired from the National Park Service Technical
     Information Center, Denver, Colorado (303)969-2130.

     I had stratified deposits dating from 1888-1900, 1900-1914, 1914-1940,
     and 1940-1980. I compared sizes and types of nails to known
     construction, repair and demolition activities for each period.

     In the same report I also looked at the nails that were recovered in
     the attic of a cabin that was built in 1888 and re-roofed in 1896. The
     226 nails appear to have been used on the 1888 roof and were lost in
     the attic when it was reroofed.

     I've also tried to pay considerable attention to the nails in most of
     the work I did in Skagway in the late 1970s and early 1980s, but the
     Moore Cabin and House deposits yielded the most interesting data.

     In glancing back through that report, I see that Fontana and
     Greenleaf's study of Johnny Ward's Ranch was the only one I cited for
     comparative information! Hope others find more for you!

     Cathy Spude