HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"(Mike Polk)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Mar 1997 10:53:22 -0500
---------------------
Forwarded message:
Subj:    Re: Historic Cemetery Footstones
Date:    97-03-14 10:37:01 EST
From:    Tivella1
To:      SAGE B

Tom, Footstone?  Can not recall seeing footstones.  But, I have a question
for those on the net.

Some years ago while visiting relatives in Oregon, I observed a small
cemetery outside Albany with the headstone sculptured from cement in the
shape of a tree stump with the inscription done as though it had been carved.
 The deceased dated from early 19th century and died late 19th.  Later, I saw
photos of a cemetery in Nevada with lots of those stump headstones.  Does
anyone out there on the net know where this peculiar practice originated and
what significance it might have?

Ron May aka [log in to unmask]