HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"(Mike Polk)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Aug 1996 18:55:56 -0400
In a message dated 96-08-03 23:10:10 EDT, [log in to unmask] (Ralph B. Giles)
writes:

<< As a component of my dissertation research on cordwood operations in the
 Tahoe Basin during the Comstock era, I would be appreciative of citations,
 especially grey literature, that contain research data on log cabin
 construction techniques employed in the American West in the 1860-1890
 time period.  Of particular interest are those associated with logging and
 cordwood activites involving Chinese, French-Canadian, and other
 relatively "homogeneous" national origin groups; and any reports that may
 provide data on the ecological and spatial distribution of such cabins
 within a region.

 Thank you,

 Ralph Giles >>

Hi Ralph.  You are in a great graduate program there.  There are many sources
related to log cabin construction techniques for this period of time.  A
couple of very good ones that I like are:

Wilson, Mary, 1984, LOG CABIN STUDIES, USDA Forest Service, Intermountain
Region, Cultural Resource Report No. 9 (Ogden, Utah)

Jordan, Terry G.,  1985, AMERICAN LOG BUILDINGS: AN OLD WORLD HERITAGE,
University of North Carolina Press, Chapel Hill

Very good for identifying ethnicity with particular cabin styles from
countries in Europe.

Also, you might want to contact Joe Gallagher, Archaeologist with Boise
National Forest, Boise, Idaho.  He is one of the foremost cabin (and other
log) restoration people in the country now and has done restoration of log
structures from Alaska to Tennessee.

Mike Polk
Sagebrush Consultants, L.L.C.
Ogden, Utah 84403