From:
"Mark D. Egloff" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Jan 1996 11:39:50 EST
     Gentlepeople:
     Neat testimonial from Jack the B-man about is 36 years without regular
     requeening.  As a rather new hobbyist, I am set to go either
     direction.  To requeen or not to requeen, that is the question.

     I can think, in my limited experience and knowledge, that the use of
     known stock with known characteristics would enable the beekeeper to
     have some(?) control over the performance of his bees and, in order to
     maintain that control, requeening would be used to maintain the
     characteristics desired.  Therefore, requeening would be desirable to
     maintain the "purity" of the stock.

     On the other hand, allowing the bees to "grow their own" and
     repopulating dead hives from splits including eggs or swarms, would
     allow ones colonies to adapt to particular local circumstances, which
     might enhance survival.

     Hmmmm.....interesting choice.

     What is the consensus of opinion?

     Mark Egloff