Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
James Graham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Mar 1996 11:03:35 -0800
Hi, Everyone!

     I am just beginning as a hobbyist beekeeper.  I'm just finishing up
some hives, and have an order for packaged bees in the mail.

     When I was reading about Africanized bees, I came across some
information about the stingless bees in Central America, i.e. MELIPONA
and TRIGONA.  Perhaps someone would be able and willing to answer a
few questions for me?

     a)  Do either of these species have potential as honey producers in the
         United States?  I read that at least one of these species
         produces only a very small amount of honey.  I was wondering if they
         could be developed into an alternative for A. melifera, since they
         couldn't be "Africanized."  Since I live in San Diego, I'm worried
         about an early end to my new hobby!  Hopefully the neighbors won't
         burn me out.

     b)  If these bees do have such potential, could they be kept in
         conventional hives, or would new technology have to be developed
         for them?

     c)  Would amateurs and non-entomologists (I'm a graduate student in
         Classics) be allowed to breed them and otherwise experiment with
         them?

     d)  Even if they aren't commercially viable, I think this would be a
         fun project.  Is it possible to get some of the critters to play
         around with?

     Excuse me if this issue has already been dealt with on your
list--I've only just subscribed.

    Many thanks in advance!

Jim Graham
3515 Fortuna Ranch Road