Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Mar 1996 07:24:41 -0600
Comments:
Authenticated sender is <allend@[198.161.228.50]>
> But IMO, each year, one *must change* some brood
> chamber combs.  In our area (50D North) we do this in the spring
> when the day time is really increasing (Apr 15-June 15).  After that
> combs building become more difficult and honey consuming.  A good
> idea is to use an honey crop: at this time, with my buckfast bees,
> it costs no honey - on the contrary, it's a harvesting stimulus :
> importance to comprehend the bee cluster ecology !

This is a good point.  There is a time for everything, and spring is
the time for foundation.

Not only does it cost nothing at this time, but a few frames of
foundation near or in the brood chamber may delay or prevent
swarming.

In June in our area, the young bees are many and they want
to cluster and build comb.  They have wax and want to use it. They
build beauitiful combs.

Only a few weeks later, many hives will lose interest in foundation.

Anyone who has run baby nucs will be amazed at the amount of comb
small colonies can build.  Nucs will make perfect combs if they are
handled right and kept supplied with feed.
Regards

Allen

W. Allen Dick, Beekeeper                                         VE6CFK
RR#1, Swalwell, Alberta  Canada T0M 1Y0
Internet:[log in to unmask] & [log in to unmask]
Honey. Bees, & Art <http://www.internode.net/~allend/>