From:
JOHN IANNUZZI <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Oct 1995 09:17:22 -0400
>                 Here in the finger lakes region of Central NY
>
>   I feed by placing an extra deep super on top of my 2 box overwintering
> hive.  Then using gallon jars inverted (12-15 small holes in the lid) over
> the hole in the inner cover I can feed without disturbing the colony.  I
> leave this setup in place with the outer cover on the extra deep super so
> first thing in february or march I can start feeding as needed.  However I
> leave a heavy rock or cinderblock on the top to prevent wind blow outs and
> use a small patch to cover the hole during the deep dark winter(also
> prevents mouse entrance).
>
>                         Mike
>

> >I have two colonies in E TN that are a bit weak on stores and feel I may
> >need to feed them possibly thru the winter.  Having just returned to
> >beekeeping I have no frames of honey to give them.  I seem to recall a
> >discussion some months ago about in-hive feeders 'on the cheap'.  I don't
> >have division board feeders.  Are there reasonable (all opinions
> >appreciated) home-made alternatives for providing in-hive feeding during the
> >winter.
> >
> >Logan VanLeigh

  I USE BOARDMAN FEEDEERS W/ HALF GALLON
  GLASS JARS (ON BOTTOM BOARD). EASY TO
  SEE WHEN MT--NO HIVE DISMANTLING NEC.

  ON WEAK HIVES (DETERMINED BY HEFTING)
  I'LL USE TWO.

  STARTED ON SEP 1, ALL 20 HIVES WILL BEE
  FED THE 50-50 SUGAR SYRUP UNTIL IT IS NO
  LONGER TAKEN. PROCESS WILL BEGIN AGAIN
  AROUND MAR 1 JUST AFTER SKUNK CABBAGE
  BLOOMS (FIRST AVAILABLE POLLEN AROUND
  IDES OF FEB) AND WILL END AT BEGIN OF
  HONEYFLOW HERE NEAR BALTO AROUND 1
  MAY WHEN BLACK LOCUST AND TULIP POPLAR
  BLOOMS COME IN.

  Jack the B-man

John Iannuzzi PhD            | "Singing masons building roofs
9772 Old Annapolis Rd        |  of gold."
Ellicott City (founded 1772) |             --Shakespeare
Maryland usa 21042           |
Hobbyist - 20 hives!         | Italian bees (19oct95 0900)
[log in to unmask]   | 3-1/2 decades a B-man