From:
"MORGAN, ANTHONY" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Sep 1995 10:43:50 GMT+0100
> Date:          Sat, 16 Sep 1995 09:54:20 -070
> From:          Jim Osborn <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject:       Re: Heat Honey to Inhibit Crystallization?

> As I understand it, 160 degrees F is the temperature to which honey
> must be heated to permanently prevent crystalization.  It may depend
> a bit on the specific nectar source, as the speed with which unheated
> honey crystalizes certainly depends strongly on its source.
>
> The "benefits" of heating include easy flow through the pipes of large
> packing plants, consumer confidence for those that think the crystalized
> stuff has gone bad, and loss of flavor.

Hei!
I always understood that the relevant temperature was 60 degrees C
 ie. 140 degrees F (unless I have converted wrongly). This is not
something I have personal experience with as customers here believe
that honey should be of the same consistency as butter *not* sirup.
(try putting a thick layer of liquid honey on a slice of bread!)

Question 1. Who knows from experience what the minimum
temperature-time combination is that is  necessary to "permanently"
prevent crystallisation?

Question 2. "The "benefits" of heating include ....... loss of
flavor." !!!!! Benefit? What effect does such heat treatment actually
have on the honey ie. how much of the various beneficial trace
substances are destroyed / changed / reduced in quantity?

IMHO anyone who wants a tasteless sirup-like honey could just as well
buy sirup! However, if we end up with a honey type that won't crystallise
(Rose bay willow herb or bell heather for example) this is of course
valued by us for use on ice-cream, fruit deserts etc.,  but I am very
doubtful about heating up our normal finely crystallised honey to
obtain a source of liquid honey as I feel that such heat treatment
must reduce the honey's health value -- am I wrong??

cheers Tony
Anthony N. Morgan (Tony)                 Fax: +47 73 89 62 86
"Stavshagen"                          E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Midtsandan                               Sor-Trondelag College
7563 MALVIK                              Elec. Eng. Department
Norway                                   7005 TRONDHEIM, Norway