HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Iain Stuart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Jul 1997 08:34:45 +1000
Mail*Link(r) SMTP               Some Principals 2

Yes the Kaypro's did run CP/M with the good old Z80 chip. I wrote a thesis on
one of them in 1987 but even then DOS was taking over and I eventually it was
transferred into Word on a DOS machine and is probablly on an old disc in my
files waiting to be transferred to Word 6 or 95 or 97 depending on when I do
it.

One additional principal I have is to try and stick with mass produced
software as it seems to me that there will be more technical support for
transferring, for example Word 6 doccuments into "Virtual Word 2010" simply
because there will be more people arround with the problem.

Taking a theoretical approach to the problem of computers in the field, the
basic theory is Murphys Law which if its implications are followed through
suggests that pencil and paper may be the way to go as there is less to go
wrong  and they are archivally stable. For Zen masters the sound of one hand
claping has special significance however for the archaeologist the sound of a
dead battery in an electronic device has a sound all of it's own.

Iain Stuart