HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
MR ARTHUR A REITER <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Apr 1997 11:49:12 -0500
Dear Sharyn,
   well, to answer your question, camels were used in an experiment
by our U.S. Military in the middle to late 1800's. But not in mining
activities. The movie "Hawmps" (Directed by Mel Brooks) is based on
this experiment. Both experiment and movie, as I recall, were flops.
As best as I can recall, with the opening of the midwest, which
included arid climates, the military wanted to see if there was a
superior animal to the horse, that could withstand the arid
invironments with minimal requirements of water. A camel driver (who
was also the trainer) came from Turkey. His name, Ali Haj, was
abreviated and switched around to become 'Hi Jolly'. He is buried in
Quarzite, Arizona. There is a book, I believe, that was written about
this experiment. If you think this really pertains to what you are
doing, I can tell you where the book is, I don't know the title of it
though, but I'm sure the library where it is will help you. The
information I've given you here is to the best of my murky
recollection, for others who read this and have better knowledge of
this experiment, feel free to correct or add. Joanne Reiter