HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"m.jay stottma" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Aug 1996 14:44:04 EDT
David,

   There was and is such a district in Louisville, Kentucky.  The area is known
   as"Butchertown" and it was formed in the early 1800s along a creek that
   empties into the Ohio River.  There are many references to this creek being
   consistantly fouled by this industry.  This area was predominately occuppied
   by German and Irish immigrants.  Although no archaeology has been done in
   area, local histories discuss this area of town in detail.  By the way the
   area is still home to the stockyards and two meat packing plants.  If would
   like some of these local references let me know.  I hope this helps.

   M. Jay Stottman
   University of Kentucky