HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Dale E. Floyd" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Apr 1996 23:34:55 -0400
On Sat, 6 Apr 1996, Daniel T. Elliott wrote:

> To my list buddies,
> I am looking for information on pre-revolutionary war fort construction
> (circa 1720-1770) and archaeological excavation relating to the same.  I am
> preparing an excavation report on Fort Argyle, not the socks, in coastal
> Georgia.  Thanks.
> Dan Elliott
> 78 McGarity Rd.
> Royston, GA 30662

Here are some historical studies of pre-revolutionary forts.
Many of them include a great deal of information about
construction, building materials, etc.  These publications mainly
pertain to British colonial fortifications but there are many
relating to Dutch, French, Swedish and Spanish, and other
countries colonial fortifications.

Ansel, William H., Jr.  Frontier Forts Along the Potomac and Its
Tributaries.  Parsons, WV: McClain Publishing Co., 1984. 265 pp.

Babson, Jane F.  "The Architecture of Early Illinois Forts."
Journal of the Illinois State Historical Society, LXI (Spring
1968), 9-40.

Bartlett, Stuart.  "Garrison Houses Along the New England
Frontier."  Pencil Points, XIV (June 1933), 253-68.

Bradley, Robert L.  The Forts of Maine, 1607-1945: An
Archaeological and Historical Survey.  Augusta, ME: Maine
Historic Preservation Commission and the Maine Bureau of Parks
and Recreation, 1981. 41 pp.

Brown, W. McCulloh.  "Fort Frederick."  Maryland Historical
Magazine, XVIII (June 1923), 101-08.

"The Building of the Fort[Fort Ticonderoga]."  The Bulletin of
the Fort Ticonderoga Museum, II (January 1931), 88-97.

Cook, Roy Bird.  "Virginia Frontier Defenses, 1719-1795."  West
Virginia History, I (January 1940), 119-30.

Curren, Cailup.  "18th Century Forts in Alabama."  in Archaeology
in Southwestern Alabama: A Collection of Papers.  Edited by
Cailup Curren.  Camden, AL: Alabama Tombigbee Regional
Commission, 1982, 133-46.

Dunnigan, Brian Leigh.  A History and Guide to Old Fort Niagara.
Youngstown, NY: Old Fort Niagara Association, Inc., 1985. 71 pp.

Faye, Stanley.  "British and Spanish Fortifications of Pensacola,
1781-1821."  Florida Historical Quarterly, XX, (January 1942),
277-92.

Huey, Paul.  The History and Archaeology of Crown Point."
Fortress: The Castles and Fortifications Quarterly, Issue No. 5
(May 1990), 44-54.

Huston, John Wilson.  "Fort Pitt, 1758-1772."  Unpublished Ph.D.
dissertation, University of Pittsburgh, 1957. 328 pp.

James, Alfred P. and Charles M. Stotz.  Drums in the Forest."
Western Pennsylvania Historical Magazine, XLI (Autumn 1958), 3-
227.

Mardis, Allen, Jr.  "Visions of James Fort."  The Virginia
Magazine of History and Biography, XCVII (October 1989), 463-98.

O'Meara, Walter.  Guns at the Forks.  Englewood Cliffs, NJ:
Prentice-Hall Inc., 1965. 273 pp.

Pell, S.H.P.  Fort Ticonderoga: A Short History.  Reprint.  Fort
Ticonderoga, NY: Fort Ticonderoga Museum, 1978. 119 pp.

Porter, Charles W., III.  Fort Raleigh and the First English
Settlement in the New World, National Park Service Handbook
Series; No. 130.  Washington, DC: The Government Printing Office,
1985. 53 pp.

Powell, Allan.  Fort Cumberland.  Parsons, WV: McClain Printing
Company, 1989.

Powell, Allan.  Fort Frederick: Potomac Outpost.  Parsons, WV:
McClain Printing Company, 1988. 50 pp.

Powell, Allan.  Fort Loudoun: Winchester's Defense in the French
and Indian War.  Parsons, WV: McClain Printing Company, 1990. 64
pp.

Robinson, Willard B.  American Forts--Architectural Form and
Function.  Urbana, IL: University of Illinois Press, 1977. 229
pp.

Sipe, C. Hale.  Fort Ligonier and Its Times . . . Harrisburg, PA:
The Telegraph Press, 1932.  699 pp.

Stotz, Charles Morse.  "The Anatomy of a Frontier Fort: The
Reconstruction of Fort Ligonier."  The Bulletin of the
Association for Preservation Technology, VI, No. 4 (1974), 1-104.

Stotz, Charles Morse.  Outposts of the War for Empire, The French
and English in Western Pennsylvania: Their Armies, Their Forts,
Their People 1749-1764.  Pittsburgh: Historical Society of
Western Pennsylvania, 1985. 203 pp.

Thomas, Daniel H.  Fort Toulouse: The French Outpost at the
Alabamas on the Coosa.  Tuscaloosa, AL: The University of Alabama
Press, 1989. 90 pp.

Tilberg, Frederick.  "Washington's Stockade at Fort Necessity."
Pennsylvania History, XX (July 1953), 240-57.

Robinson, Willard.  American Forts--Form and Function.  Urbana, IL:
University of Illinois Press, 1977.

     The National Park Service has done numerous archaeological
studies on sites such as Fort Frederica, Fort Raleigh and Fort
Necessity.  There are archaeological studies for other forts such
as Forts Ligonier and Fort Pitt.

Dale E. Floyd

Dale E. Floyd
8107 Greeley Blvd.