HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Terri Majewski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Jul 1995 11:44:22 -0400
I noticed your note regarding excavating the well this morning.  I have a
couple of recommendations.  First, consult OSHA before you attempt anything.
Each state has its own offices run on either the state or federal level.  If
you consult them prior to going out and digging, you may be able to avoid
endangering someone's life and hefty fines if inspected.  They will be able
to make recommendations on the best and safest way to proceed.  Not only from
the excavation safety standpoint, but also from the air quality standpoint.
(Methane aside, oxygen levels drop dramatically in a pit as you go down, and
OSHA has testing equipment, or can recommend some for your specific
situation.  You may also want to consult a trench equipment company.  The
representitive who spoke at the SAA Archaeology and Safety workshop was from
GME, Inc. out of Michigan,  Dan Williamson.  (They have a toll free # that
you can probably from the 800 operator.)  They manufacture safety exuipment
for this type of purpose and may be able to direct you to someone locally who
can help.

A relatively shallow well (packed with artifacts) was excavated in Phoenix.
It was excavated in cross-section, and in the end, one half was left exposed
so that it could be profiled.  The excavated side faced a trench.  As the
young woman turned to leave the trench after finishing her profile, the well
collapsed burying her up to her waist.  Emergency crews were called, there
was a media nightmare, and the woman sustained a buldging disk ending her
field carreer at the age of 21.  (Don't risk it.)

Good luck.

I'd be interested to hear how you solve this.

Carol J. Ellick
email: [log in to unmask]
(under "subject" enter my name, we share several accounts)