From:
"S. Gielesen" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Apr 1996 10:49:15 +0200

>/ It is may be an anthropomorphic view but I don't like at all the
>use of formic acid to kill varroa or acarapis.  Actually we have some
>others drugs, not harmless but effective and smoother than formic
>acid
>which is, at the concentration used, a too dangerous product (see :
>causes severe burns, keep out of reach of children, don't inhale gas
>and vapour, in case of contact with eyes, rinse immediately with
>plenty of water and seek medical advice).  It's very agressive
>material - try : inhale very carefully -> I don't wish that to my
>bees.  You never use a such treatment to another pet of you !?
>Furthermore, it attacks (as acetic acid, but harder) all the metallic
>hardware (iron !).  I think it isn't to be used by common beekeeper.

Hello,

Formic acid is used by some beekeepers in Holland. The method is:
sprinkle some formic acid (I don't know what concentration) on a
piece of board that fits on top of the frames. The evaporated formic
acid is heavier than air so it sinks in the hive and kills the mites
(they fall off the bees). But it also harms or even kills the brood
that is in open cells. A better method that has been developed at the
university of Wageningen is: use an airtight box that has been
treated with formic acid and put in the frames with closed
broodcells. Treat the frames one by one and you get rid of most of the
mites.
You have to be very carefull with formic acid; wear gloves and put
the piece of board in a plastic bag after you used it.

I'll see if I can find the man who was doing this research on varroa.
He can give more exact information.

Sanne Gielesen