From:
John Iannuzzi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Jan 1996 11:16:20 -0500
3jan96  Happy New Year!
REQUEENING <requeen>

THIS MESSAGE IS FOR THE NEW HOBBY B-KEEPER ONLY.

1. This is a my 36th cosecutive year as a beekeeper.
I have never requeened, feeling that the bees know
more about it than I do. (Richard Taylor, who has been
keeping bees longer than I, actually made a similar statement
one year in his monthly column and was naturally? immediately
excoriated by Southern queen breeders.)

2. Requeening theory: a new queen is more vigorous than the
old, will start laying more and faster leading to a greater
hive population resulting in greater honey production per
hive.

3. Last April I helped a man, who's been keeping bees for
about five years and believes in requeening every year,
requeen more than 10 hives. His "old" one-year queens he
started to pinch until I asked for them.

3. My hive population jumped from 12 to 20 hives.

4. Shud U requeen? U pays yer money and U take ur cherce.

Jack the B-man