From:
Dan Buchsbaum <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Jul 1995 21:33:51 -500
On Thu, 27 Jul 1995, Bill Miller wrote:

> To start our next discussion, I have the following survey question:
>
> How many of  you:
> >
> b) use one size box (deeps) for brood boxes and a smaller size (mediums
> and/or shallows) for supers?

I use 2 deeps for the brood and stored honey and shallows for the supers.
For anybody beginning beekeeping the shallows are best for stores.
Didn't realize this until my first winter (such as it is in Houston) and
I wanted to have a look at the brood.  I can lift 50# feed bags okay, but
this deep super with the stores was impossible to pick up.  With my 110#
of body weight and 0# brain weight I decided to insist on getting my way.
I got my way.  I also got to stay in bed for a few days.  I always
wondered why most of the beekeepers I 've seen are big brawny fellas... :)
-Cynthia