HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
"Michael F. Barber" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Feb 1995 17:43:01 -0500
We have recently finished the excavations of the Burrell Pharmacy in Roanoke,
Virginia.  This was one of the very first black owned and operated pharmacies
in southwest Virginia.  The pharmacy was in operation from the 1890's through
the 1920's.  We performed the initial analyses of the material culture from
the pharmacy and the restaurants and stores which shared the Davis Hotel
Building.

We are continuing to search for data, especially archaeological data, from
other pharmacies during this period and from pharmacies serving lower
socio-economic status neighborhoods in general.  As far as we can ascertain,
no other pharmacies have been excavated in the United States.  Any data that
may be available would be extremely helpful, even if the pharmacy does not
date to the turn of the century.

Much of the research that we have able to accomplish on this artifact
assemblage deals with the trade networks available to the black community in
Roanoke.  Goods were procured from the Northeast, the Carolinas, and Europe,
as well as locally.  Any sources dealing with trade networks, or medicines
from this period would also be very helpful.

Thanks for the info,
Michael F. Barber
Preservation Technologies, Inc.