HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Jeff Watts-Roy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Mar 1997 09:09:18 +0000
Timothy J. Scarlett expressed an idea that I have been concerned with
for a couple of years now.  I found that one of the most inspiring
works, which addresses this need to bridge the gaps and heal the wounds
between the disparate archaeologies, may be found in Shanks and McGuire's
paper on archaeology as "craft" (American Antiquity 61(1):75-88, 1996).
At least for me, I found this idea very consoling as well as productive
since it moves the would-be divisions into one stream focusing entirely
on practice.  As they write "We will look at archaeology as a human
activity that potentially links human emotions, needs, and desires with
theory and technical reasoning to form a unified practice, a 'craft of
archaeology'"(76).  While this article does not hold all of the answers,
as our big friend in *Sling Blade* notes, "I reckon theers parts I din
understand int", I think its a step in the right direction.  For as Shanks
and McGuire note, "...good archaeology has always been craft."