HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Mon, 24 Feb 1997 12:29:56 -0700
From:
"BONNIE J. CLARK" <[log in to unmask]>
7bit
Sender:
I know this string on Mormon archaeology has about run its course, but I
just managed to dig up this info.

Last week Anita Wrote: >
> The rule about abstaining from strong drink didn't occur until after 1870.
> Actually, the original idea was to stay away from hot drinks such as hot
> fermented cider. Only later did this expand to include all drinks with
> caffiene and/or alcohol.

It took me a while to find my copy of what is known as "The Doctrine and
Covenants" which is the key source for Mormon doctrine.  It is a book often
 appended to the Book of Mormon and it contains the text of revelations
as written by various Mormon presidents (or prophets, seers, and
revelators as the long version goes).  In 1833 Joseph Smith recorded the
"Word of Wisdom" which contains the Mormon health and dietary codes and
is recorded in Chapter 89 of the Doctrine and Covenants.  It states that
"Wine and strong drink" are not to be used.  Later in the chapter is the
admonition that "Hot drinks" are also not good for the body, as well as
tobacco.  The chapter goes on to say that meat is to only be eaten
sparingly and in times of shortage (which I didn't know until near
adulthood judging from the cassaroles at church potlucks).

It is true that Joseph Smith prefaced the chapter by saying that what
followed was not a law, but a strong admonition.  Still, when the prophet
says jump...

I hate to one-up Anita, but being a recovering Mormon has got to be good
 for something.

Bonnie Clark
SWCA, Inc.