HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Jim Dykman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Feb 1997 08:27:49 -0700
As shpo archaeologist the question posed is interesting and timely.  The
best way I could answer is give you a case I am working with in
downtown salt lake city and one that I worked on several years ago.
The official structure of the church is building a huge parking garage in
downtown slc.  The potential for historic archaeology is high, the garage
sits next to the LDS temple block.  We have been blocked at every turn to
have the church do archaeological investigations.  In the 1980's an
underground walk way was put into a local mall owned by Zion
securities, because of great deal of pressure an excavation was
undertaken by BYU archaeologist.  The digging was completed under
great pressure, and exhibit was put up, but no money for a report was
given to the BYU archaeologist who did a good job, why?  The
excavation was of an early Mormon public building call Social Hall, the
excavation came up with many "beverage bottles".  That might send the
wrong message, I admit I may be stretching here somewhat, but 20
years of experience point to the unfinished reports.  Other
archaeologists who have worked on related sites can tell the same tail,
where are the publications.  These sites are not the only ones, our
profession suffers from unfinished reports, but the crime here stands
out.