HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
MILLS ROBIN O <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Feb 1997 19:40:54 -0900
We are presently involved in a graduate historical archaeology seminar
here at the Univ. of Alaska Fairbanks dealing with "western" (i.e., west
of the Mississippi) historical archaeology, archaeological applications of
"frontier" literature, the (non?) benefits of the so-called "new
historiographers" to model-building, etc., when the Mormons came up.  The
goal of self-sufficiency was a sought-after goal, which was not realized,
in hindsight.  The discussion of recognizing ethnicity in the
archaeological record of course reared its head, and we all put forth our
two cents worth.  However, not being familiar with Utah (and surrounding
states), we were at a loss to come up with archaeological investigations
conducted at mid- to -late-19th century Mormon settlements.  Leone's
1970's work being the sole exception, but then again he didn't really dig,
did he?

Question to Utah archaeologists (and particularly you agency and CRM
folks):  where is the Mormon archaeology?????  With the plethora of
offical and personal documentary records available, surely this case study
has not been overlooked!!

Curious from Fairbanks,

Robin Mills ([log in to unmask])