HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Light Cummins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Feb 1997 14:42:47 -0600
At the risk of seeming impolite, which is certainly not my intention in the
least, I am wondering if on-going "chat threads" such as the installment
exampled below are appropriate to a specialized listserv -- or should such
exchanges go by individual email among the participants?

I solidly believe in free speech, but HISTARCH does generate a goodly number
of messages per day that do have relatively broad and informative appeal to
our mutual interests in historical archaeology, all of which take time to
sort through since most of us belong to several lists.

This is especially problematical when the "chat threads" carry forward
through time the original subject headings although what is being discussed
no longer pertains to the message title and, sometimes, not even to the
general interests of the list. There are indeed other forums on the net for
chat rooms, personal email, etc., so the question is not censorship but
instead encouraging discourse to take place in areas best suited to the
interests of all the particpants and audience.  Does Anita or H-NET have any
recommendations on posting netiquette and academic listservs that might
informally guide us? Thanks.

Light Cummins
Austin College