HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Freeman/Heath <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Jul 1996 22:45:13 EDT
I've been a latecomer to this recent colonoware discussion  but thought I'd add
my two cents worth.  I wrote my dissertation on Afro-Caribbean ware found on St.
Eustatius (UPenn, American Civilization, 1988)  and have two somewhat later
quotes to throw into the pot:

"They (the Caribs on Antigua) also possess the art of fabricating vessels for
cookery, and other domestic uses, from the clay of the island, which is still in
use in Antigua, the negroes making pots for boiling their victuals, yabbas (or
frying pans), water-jars, and several other utensils..."

Mrs. Flannigan
1844  Antigua and Antiguans:   A Full Account of the Colony and its Inhabitants.
Vol. 2, London, Saunders and Otley.  Reprinted by Lost Cause Press, Louisville,
KY, 1966.

and for Nevis,
"The only manufactury of articles other than Sugar and Rum is one in the parish
of St. James at which a coarse description of clay pots and vessels to hold
water is made.  These articles are wholly formed by hand; and this is perhaps
the only instance in the civilized world where Pottery is manufactured without
the aid of the Potter's wheel"  (Blue Books of Nevis 1863)

The Blue books were annual compilations of legal, demographic and economic
statistics for the British West Indian colonies.  In 1863, five boatloads of
clay pots were exported to neighboring islands.  Afro-Caribbean potters are
still producing clay pots on Nevis today, as well as on Jamaica, St. Lucia,
Antigua and perhaps other islands.  Sherds of this pottery are ubiquitous on
late 18th and 19th century sites on St. Eustatius and, most likely, throughout
the Caribbean.
        I think the most interesting question  that colonoware/Afro-Caribbean
wares raise for  us today is not who made them (or that they are creole
products), but how they were traded and used by groups of people who we as
archaeologists typically place outside of the marketplace.  During the 18th
century, these vessels were widely distributed, yet most archaeological site
reports attribute any and all slave material culture to the custom of masters
allotting hand-me-downs.   Aren't these vessels arguing for a well developed
underground market?
        To follow Carl's lead in shameless self promotion/scholarly exchange,
I've written an article entitled, "Temper, Temper"  on colonoware in Virginia
that should be out sometime this fall.  Its in an edited volume on the
eighteenth century produced by the Council for Virginia Archaeologists.  In it I
summarize the history of the colonoware debate in VA, discuss "recent findings"
(the paper was written in 1990, so the findings are unfortunately not too
recent) and suggest future directions.  In agreement with Sue Henry, Dan Mouer
and others, I think detailed physical analyses of pastes are badly needed.  More
importantly, we need to get beyond asking "who made it" and start looking at how
it functioned within society.

Barbara Heath