HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Jack Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Nov 1995 17:54:55 -0800
PROGRESS REPORT:
SAN DIEGO PRESIDIO ARCHAEOLOGY PROJECT

To preserve and interpret California's cultural heritage, the National
Civilian Community Corps has once again joined with the Center Spanish
Colonial Archaeology to continue the second year of San Diego Presidio
Archeological Project. This project was launched in 1994. The NCCC is the
residential arm of AMERICORPS*, the national service initiative created
with bipartisan support is the 100 days following the 1992 presidential
elections. The corps' campus houses 250, 18-25 year-olds, selected for their
commitment to service and history of community involvement.

The program exists to aid communities in tackling pressing environmental,
safety, education and human needs issues.  While conducting projects all
over the western U.S., the corpsmembers utilize surplus military
facilities. They are based at the former Naval Training Center in San
Diego, California.  Following their year of service, Americorps volunteers
receive a cash award earned for future higher education.  It is the
primary goal of Americorps to promote civic pride and responsibility while
achieving real results and bolstering local community organizations.  In
short, to fulfill their motto of "Getting Things Done."

In 1994-1995 (ten months), the NCCC crews excavated about one-half of the
north wing (about 16 rooms). They identified numerous original floors
and recovered tens of thousands of artifacts. We also provided
instruction to more than 13,000 school children who took tours of the site.
The project suspended operations in August.

On November 1, a new team began work at the Presidio. The work will
continue for the next ten months. We hope that our work will help to
preserve this important site, and spread the multi-cultural message of
San Diego's early history.

We are the second class of Americorps *NCCC members to work on the
Presidio dig. The San Diego Presidio was a military colony founded in
1769, and abandoned about 1835. It housed approximately 400 settlers, and
included buildings constructed out of wood, adobes and tile.

Currently, we are digging in the north wing where the comandante and his
family may have lived. Thirteen rooms have been excavated. Work is
proceeding on three of these chambers. A patio area begun in 1994
continues to yield numerous artifacts, including a mano, a large cut
sandstone metate, a diverse array of ceramics such as mayolica, Chinese
porcelain and various British wares.

In general, the site has produced tejas (roof tile), ladrillos
(floor tile), large land mammal bones (mostly cow and goat), fish bones, and
sea shells (mostly abalone, clam and scallop). Although we are
hoping to find personal items, such as a crucifix, we continue to
enjoy the discovery of more mundane objects, that were, after all,
the settlers' trash.

Another important activity that the project undertakes involves
fourth graders from the San Diego School's Old Town School
program. We provide these future archaeologists with tours of the
site. During their visit we present our findings about the use of
various rooms, the ethnicity of the inhabitants, excavation
techniques, and the various artifacts found here. The great thing
is that they are really excited about archaeology, and they ask a
lot of questions! Their faces light up when they see an object
over two hundred years old. We find it intriguing to learn and
teach others about California's rich history.

Feel free to post questions. Each week we will be providing this list
with an excavation update.

Yellow Team 3
San Diego Campus