HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Judy Bense <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Sep 1995 15:53:56 CDT
Anita and HISTARCH subscribers:  I would like to clarify the situation
concerning University of West Florida students and listservers.

1.     I gave 35 students (25 undergrad, 10 grad) in one CRM class an
Internet assingment which consisted of obtaining an email address, sending a
designated person a message, subscribing to one of several archaeology
listservers, and downloading a message from it.  They were not required to
post a question, only a confirmation of their successful subscription.
However, I did not prohibit them from participating in the listervers.  As
of today, three UWF students have posted questions to the list.

2.      If my three students have caused you problems on this listerver, I
apologize.  I have been on the Net for only a few months and I wanted to
share it with them for their education.

As far as use of the library, our students use the library on a daily basis
and understand the role of reference librarians.  Some of the information on
listervers, though, is not in university libraries, such as the information
I was fortunate enough to obtain from this and other archaeology listervers
about texts for CRM courses and information about dealing with metal
detecting groups.  As a professor, I feel students should learn and
understand about all sources of information available about their discipline.

I appreciate your posting of Netiquitte.  I have copied it and will hand it
out in my class tomorrow night.  Thank you, I was unaware of it.