HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Mary Ellin D'Agostino <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Sep 1995 14:44:17 -0700
It "saddens" me that so many have misunderstood my point in the post
about "requests for info."  The point is not that I object to passing on
knowledge (I do respond to them frequently), or that others may not have
the local library resources available at a major univirsity (ever hear of
inter-library loan?). The point is and should be that people need to
learn how to use the resources of a library to look things up (part of
the reason instructors have students do research papers).
     Even the poorest of local libraries has a card catalog and many now
have on-line catalogs from which one can access the holdings of other
libraries.  Databases of current articles (like "Current Contents") are
also widely available. What I object to is people not using their local
resources FIRST.  Most people posting to this and other lists have
computer access to library listings world wide. If someone doesn't know
how to use the computer access, librarians are great people who will go
out of their way to help...
     Besides, my suggesting some article that the postulated poor rural
student hasn't got access to won't help either, unless he/she makes the
effort to obtain it. The suggestion of sending key words is the best
notion I have heard so far....

Mary Ellin D'Agostino